Saturday 2 May 2020

Wacky Cake

Why not bake a cake?

News yesterday, our Governor, has decide to keep
the state shut down for another month.

So, it has been a learning curve for me.
Remember, when we had to do our grocery shopping for a full week?
there was no running to the store in between.
Seems like those times have come once again
needing something sweet and no ingredients for
a cake, what do you do?

Well, you bake a wacky cake, also known as depression cake
where shortages were normal. 

Just what I did 


No eggs! No butter, no good stuff well then this is just what you need.
this cake is so moist.
My friend Martha, just gave me
the idea of adding a glaze as I am also out of butter.

Wacky cake

1 1/2 cups sifted flour
 1 cup sugar
3-4 Tbs unsweetened  cocoa
1 tps baking soda
1/2 tps salt
6 Tbs corn oil
1 Tbs vinegar
1 tps vanilla
1 cup cold water

Sift all dry ingredients into a ungreased 10x10x2 inch pan
Mix with a fork
Make three holes
put oil in one, put vinegar in the next and vanilla in the last one.  The pour one cup of water over all and mix with a fork.
Do not beat,this takes a few minutes
Bake 350 25-30 min
leave in the pan.
You could put a glaze,which is what I will do
or powered sugar, 
If you have the ingredients you could make a butter cream frosting.
I do not happen to have any butter right now.

3 comments:

  1. My mom made this cake all the time and I loved it. Thanks for the recipe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad to help! I can't believe how moist this cake is. Even great to mix up for company and put a dollop of whipped cream on it.

      Delete
  2. Oh my, no eggs, no butter. Your cake looks delicious, Nonie. Nel made me a chocolate birthday cake yesterday, and it was so good. : )

    ~Sheri

    ReplyDelete